(June 1995)

Subject: Re: Eh? Why does majordomo like me?
From: dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com (Dave Wolfe)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 08:13:38 -0500 (CDT)
To: uunet!noao.edu!swampler

[ Steve Wampler writes: ]
> If I mail majordomo and ask to get a file, I get it.
>
> If someone else mails the same message to majordomo, they don't get the file,
> they get the message 'no such file...'.
>
> I've traced it down (I think) that majordomo is trying to create a lock
> file in the directory that holds the file, but majordomo doesn't have
> write permission into that directory (it's a symbolic link off to
> another location...).
>
> So, why does it work for me?

Sounds to me like you don't have wrapper installed correctly, i.e. it's
not setuid root or (on BSD systems) setuid majordom (or some such). From
a login other than root or majordom (or whatever wrapper is supposed to
setuid to), run the test script from wrapper:

    ./wrapper test

to see what uid/gid majordomo runs as.

> I don't want to give people permission to write into this directory
> anyway, so does anyone see any serious problems with my changing
> where the lock file goes?  (I'm aware that there might be name collisions
> if I put all lock files into a common 'lock' directory, but in our
> case that would be rare enough to safely ignore.)

I don't think that's a problem unless you have more than 1 installation
of mj around using the same lock directory. Name collisions mean the
file is locked, so that *should* occur, but would only be a problem for
multiple mj installations.

I'm copying this to the majordomo-workers list because I think your
idea about creating lock files in a specific directory is a good fix
for read-only locks when you don't want the directory to be writable
by anyone other than the owner (which isn't mj). Comments, majordomo-
workers?

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*  (512) 891-3246
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598

Indexed By Date Previous: wrapper.c for osf/1