(September 1995)

Subject: Re: bug/security hole in approve script
From: pdc @ lunch . engr . sgi . com (Paul Close)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 10:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
To: david_wolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

> I'd already made a similar change and sent it to the new Mj coordinator
> (or at least I thought I did, but I can't find it in my mail archives at
> the moment). Minor nits: tilde (~) isn't a Perl regexp meta-character,
> so it need not be escaped (and your patch is backwards, the line should
> have a '+' marking it). Here's mine:

Why not just use /bin/mail like all the other mj programs?  That's the
change *I* made, mostly because I don't have a /usr/ucb/mail (only uppercase
Mail), and I assumed they meant /bin/mail anyway (get rid of -s "" if you
do).

There's no reason to use Mail.  Don't cover up its problems, just use
/bin/mail!
--
Paul Close          pdc@sgi.com          http://reality.sgi.com/employees/pdc/

			No fate but what we make