(September 1995)

Subject: Re: A suggestion: Logging of resent messages
From: ckk @ uchicago . edu
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 16:37:42 -0500

My vote from the peanut gallery would be for Majordomo to start using Syslog,
and just syslog these proposed per-message log entries. Then you have control
over them by level and facility etc. from the /etc/syslog.conf. Use the
available tools!

Someone sent in a set of patches to implement Syslog in Majordomo, a while
ago. I think I saved them somewhere but never got around to trying to merge
them into one of our running Majordomo.

Chris Koenigsberg
U. of Chicago Academic Computing Services

In message <>, Dave Wolfe writes:
>[ Marko Hotti writes: ]
>> I'd like to see a new feature in resend: If the incoming message passes
>> the administrivia check and resend prepares the message for
>> listname-outgoing, it would optionally append a log message to a file in a
>> majordomo subdirectory, stating who sent the message and when. Each
>> mailing list could have a logfile of its own. I guess this is very easy
>> to implement in the resend code.
>But apparently not easy enough that any code was included. ;-)
>> There are numerous benefits and no file locking is needed - I guess.
>Bad guess. Queuing by sendmail elevates the probability to near 1 that
>multiple messages will arrive at nearly the same time, resulting in
>multiple resend processes running at the same time, some of which will
>be trying to write to the same list log file at the same time. Every
>file that can be modified must be locked for every access.
>Seems to me this could be implemented without bothering resend and
>slowing down delivery to the list. Just hook in a tabulator script,
>similar to the way archives are done. Code is left as an exercise for
>those who care. :-)
> Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*  (512) 891-3246
> Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: A suggestion: Logging of resent messages