(October 1995)

Subject: Re: Message bounced: Admin request
From: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:51:12 +0100
To: Project Genesis <genesis @ j51 . com>, ckk @ uchicago . edu, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 1:07 PM 10/22/95, Project Genesis wrote:
>At 12:07 AM 10/22/95 +0100, Brent Chapman wrote:
>>At 3:12 PM 10/20/95, ckk@uchicago.edu wrote:
>>>We have a fair number of list owners who are doing email via POP service,
>>>using Eudora on a Macintosh. So they don't have a simple "approve" script
>like >>Unix-based list owners do.
>
>>The trick to approving messages is, first, to use the "Forward934"
>>extension (comes with Eudora, or is available from ftp.qualcomm.com), to
>>cause Eudora to do RFC934-style message forwarding rather than ">"-prefix
>>message forwarding; i.e., making the message look like this:
>[...]
>
>1) Wouldn't that leave the text of the message with '>' chars on each line?

That's exactly what the "Forward934" extension changes.  If you're using
that extension, when you select "Forward", it wraps the message with "---
begin forwarded message" and "--- end forwarded message" rather than the
normal ">"-quoting.

>2) I use Eudora for Windows, and the trick is to use "Send again".  Messages
>come to owner-listname for approval, so all you have to do is remove the
>word "owner-" from the To: line, insert the Approved: statement, and either
>turn off Word Wrap or delete any Received: lines that go over 76 chars.

Darn, I knew there was a simpler trick!  :-)

>Here's another question: is there a way to use the BOUNCE list via email,
>mailing in the bounce commands?

Sure.  The "bounces" list is just another list.  All the "bounce" script
does is, given "your-list" and "addr@broken.site.net" as arguments, creates
a message like:

        approve b-passwd subscribe bounces addr@broken.site.net

Nothing to keep you from creating such a message yourself by hand...

-Brent

--
Brent Chapman         | Great Circle Associates  | For Firewalls Tutorial info:
Brent@GreatCircle.COM | 1057 West Dana Street    | Tutorial-Info@GreatCircle.COM

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Message bounced: Admin request