(November 1995)

Subject: Re: feature set?
From: Chan Wilson <cwilson @ slurp . neu . sgi . com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 13:21:19 +0100
To: Ray Terry <raymail @ hpwsrt . cup . hp . com>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

> Signing off the list now, since I don't get it.  So much for asking for new
> features...

Uhhh...

MJ has had a problem since its inception (and the following IS NOT
meant to disgrace anyone that has worked on MJ, esp. Brent & John).
Basically,  it's an overgrown hack spawned by the need to get
something working NOW.   No consistent error checking is done, setup
is arcane, customization requires hacking the source, and
administration, while decent, could be much better.  It's about as
robust as a Twinkie.  But then, it runs on Unix, so its
handicapped. :-O

( You'll have to excuse me.  I just finished reading the Unix Haters
Handbook, and it has shifted my viewpoint severely. )

Now, having said that doesn't detract from the FACT that mj is in
production use in many places.  And, one of its features *is* that
it's written in perl, so if you need a new feature, its relatively
easy to add (presuming you know perl.)    Its warts, while butt-ugly
in places, doesn't prevent it from being put to good use.

MJ is publicly grown groupware.  A bunch of people with little bits of
time have made MJ what it is today.  If you want a feature, add it
in.

While we're near the subject, I'm seriously thinking that MJ 2.0
(whatever *that* means :-) will be a complete rewrite to allow for
graceful integration of site and list customizations and
configurations, among other useful items.   I had some late-night
brainstorming sessions about this, and once I've translated them into
some coherent thoughts, I'll share them in this forum.   I know others
have had some thoughts about this as well, so gather those synapses
together and think about everything that you hate and love and want
about majordomo.

Peace,

--Chan
	(Current maintainer of majordomo)