(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Interesting Problem
From: pdc @ lunch . engr . sgi . com (Paul Close)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 09:31:37 -0800 (PST)
To: relph @ sgihub . corp . sgi . com
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

> I just had an interesting problem.  I have a list, called "nma".
> I have configured the list such that "strip" is "no" (I like to
> see personal names as well as addresses).  Yesterday, someone
> subscribed with the following address:
>
> 	[<nma>] [<fsntm@aurora.alaska.edu>]

Heh, this is straight from the "help" message :-D

	subscribe [<list>] [<address>]

My wife used to have a bunch of problems like this (she runs a number of
lists with non-technical people), until she got fed up and re-wrote the help
message to be helpful to non-nerds too.  Once we switched to using this new
help message, the number of people who had problems went way down.

This reminds me of my other pet peeve, where majordomo sends back a
message tp the poor user saying things like this *might* be due to blah,
or it *might* be due to foo, when it knows perfectly well which it is!
But enough of that....

Here's my "dummy's help for majordomo":

*** majordomo-1.93/majordomo	Wed Jan  4 11:37:43 1995
--- /local/majordomo/majordomo	Mon Oct  2 19:31:32 1995
***************
*** 1072,1132 ****

  sub do_help {

!     local($list4help) = $majordomo_request ? "[<list>]" : "<list>";

!     local($listrequest) =  "or to \"<list>-request@$whereami\".\n";
!     $listrequest .= "\nThe <list> parameter is only optional if the ";
!     $listrequest .= "message is sent to an address\nof the form ";
!     $listrequest .= "\"<list>-request@$whereami\".\n";

!     $listrequest = "." unless $majordomo_request;

! This is Brent Chapman's "Majordomo" mailing list manager, version $majordomo_version.

! In the description below items contained in []'s are optional. When
! providing the item, do not include the []'s around it.

! It understands the following commands:

!     subscribe $list4help [<address>]
! 	Subscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) to the named <list>.

!     unsubscribe $list4help [<address>]
! 	Unsubscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) from the named <list>.

!     get $list4help <filename>
!         Get a file related to <list>.

!     index $list4help
!         Return an index of files you can "get" for <list>.

!     which [<address>]
! 	Find out which lists you (or <address> if specified) are on.

!     who $list4help
! 	Find out who is on the named <list>.

!     info $list4help
! 	Retrieve the general introductory information for the named <list>.

      lists
! 	Show the lists served by this Majordomo server.

      help
! 	Retrieve this message.

      end
! 	Stop processing commands (useful if your mailer adds a signature).
!
! Commands should be sent in the body of an email message to
! "$whoami"$listrequest
!
! Commands in the "Subject:" line NOT processed.

  If you have any questions or problems, please contact
  "$whoami_owner".
-
  EOM

      &log("help");
--- 1125,1229 ----

  sub do_help {

! This is Brent Chapman's "Majordomo" mailing list manager, version $majordomo_version.

! Here is a list of the commands that Majordomo understands.  There are two
! ways of getting your commands processed by Majordomo:

! METHOD #1:

! Commands should be sent as the *body* of an email message to:
!
!    listname-request@$whereami
!
! where "listname" is the actual name of the mailing list.  This method of
! communicating with Majordomo is easier and more direct than Method #2,
! since you are "talking" directly to your particular mailing list's
! server.  Note that commands in the "Subject:" line are NOT processed;
! commands need to be in the body of an email message in order to be
! processed.
!
! In the description below, items contained in []'s are optional. When
! providing one of the optional the items, do not include the []'s around
! it.

!     subscribe [email_address]
! 	Subscribe yourself (or a particular email address address if
! 	specified) to this list.

!     unsubscribe [email_address]
! 	Unsubscribe yourself (or a particular email address address if
! 	specified) from this list.

!         Return an index of files you can "get" for this list.

!     get filename
! 	Retrieve the named file, related to this list.

!     info
! 	Retrieve the general introductory information for this list.

!     help
! 	Gives you a copy of this message.
!
!     end
! 	Stop processing commands (useful if your mailer adds a signature
! 	or anything else to the end of your messages).
!
! METHOD #2:
!
! This method of communicating with Majordomo is a bit more involved than
! Method #1, since you are "talking" to a server that handles many mailing
! lists, not just your particular mailing list.
!
! Commands should be sent as the *body* of an email message to:
!
!    $whoami
!
! Note that commands in the "Subject:" line are NOT processed.
!
! In the description below, items contained in []'s are optional. When
! providing one of the optional the items, do not include the []'s around
! it.
!
!     subscribe listname [email_address]
! 	Subscribe yourself (or a particular email address address if
! 	specified) to the named list.
!
!     unsubscribe listname [email_address]
! 	Unsubscribe yourself (or a particular email address address if
! 	specified) from the named list.
!
!     index listname
!         Return an index of files you can "get" for the named list.

!     get listname filename
!         Retrieve the named file, related to the named list.

!     which [email_address]
! 	Find out which lists you (or a particular email address if
! 	specified) are on.

!     who listname
! 	Find out who is on the named list.

+     info listname
+ 	Retrieve the general introductory information for the named list.
+
      lists
! 	Tells you what lists are run by this Majordomo server.

--
Paul Close          pdc@sgi.com          http://reality.sgi.com/employees/pdc/

			No fate but what we make