(November 1995)

From: ckk @ uchicago . edu
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:32:22 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

In message <199511281545.KAA07420@access5.digex.net>, Al Gilman writes:
>Do people have experience with using a dedicated mailbox for such
>transactions?  Like "forward this message just as you got it to
>majordomo-undo@... to cancel this transaction.  If you have any
>questions about what is going on, send any message at all to
>GarbageDelivery-request@...  for further instructions."

Actually, now sendmail 8.7.X (latest is 8.7.2) has a feature where you can
send to addresses like "user+a@host" or "user+b@host" and the extra string
after the "+" can be used in filtering. The good old Andrew Message System has
had this wonderful feature since 1985. (in the sendmail version, the extra
string is handed to the local delivery agent i.e. procmail as an additional
argument)

So one could setup a facility where your request mail to majordomo could
actually be to majordomo+listname, or maybe majordomo could have me confirm my
subscription request, made initially from myusername@myhost, by setting the

Chris Koenigsberg
ckk@uchicago.edu