(January 1996)

Subject: Interesting loop
From: Mark Cheverton <sparky @ hypereality . co . uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:40:56 +0000 (GMT)
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

Hi,
	I have just moved majordomo from one machine to another
making the mistake of not setting the group permission on
/usr/local/etc/majordomo to write. THis had the following
interesting effect:
	Someone would subscribe and they would get back a succeded
message, but majordomo hadnt actually done it but was in the process.
Hence it had locked the list file and was trying to update it. The
mailer quit with unknown error 13 and every hour (how the sendmail
is configured) tried to send the subscription message again causeing
another subscription succeeded message to be sent out but still not
being able to do anything on the locked file.
	I know this is because I had it setup wrongly but maybe majordomo
should be written so that it only sends out the succeeded message when
its actually done and put you on the list - avoiding such repeated email
loops.
	BTW Im not on the list, I just thought youd like to know so
send any flames to me. Oh and its majordomo 1.93

-Mark
--
Mark Cheverton (sparky@ecafe.org)	http://www.ecafe.org/
Nexus-UK (The ECafe)			http://www.ecafe.org/nexus/

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: majordomo problem