(January 1996)

Subject: Re: Approve Script - FEATURE SUGGESTED
From: Brock Rozen <brozen @ netvoyage . net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 21:51:39 -0800 (PST)
To: Alan Millar <amillar @ bolis . sf-bay . org>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Alan Millar wrote:

> On 10 Jan 96 at 18:23, Brock Rozen wrote:
> > We run a group of lists. We wish to have each person subscribed to the
> > other lists also subscribed to one main list. Basically, anybody who
> > subscribes to list B-G also gets subscribed to list A.
> >
> > Rather than doing this through majordomo, would it be possible to add
> > this to the approve script? Basically, having it send an additional line
> > (or if necessary, another message) subscribing the same person to the
> > list they requested to be subscribed to AS WELL as that one main list.
>
> This comes up about every six months, so I'll answer it again :-)
>
> Don't bother to change the "approve" script; you can do this without
> changing any code.
>
> Include all your lists in list A.  The trick is to avoid duplicates;
> you do this by combining the lists on the -outgoing side *after*
> "resend".
>
> You can change your aliases for listA-outgoing, or you can just add
> the other lists right into the listA list file.  IMPORTANT:  Add the
> -outgoing aliases for the other lists, not the primary aliases.
>
> So just subscribe listB-outgoing, listC-outgoing, etc to listA
> and forget about the rest.

A few problems I see with this. One, we DO allow people who do NOT want
to receive the main list to unsubscribe from this. They would NOT have
that option under this. Two, some people would receive duplicates.
Considering we have THOUSANDS (over five thousand) of subscribers, that
would add CONSIDERABLE work on the system and would result in unneeded
inconveniences to be added to our readers.

Thanks,

 | Brock Rozen  | Internet: brozen@netvoyage.net           	       |
 |     Check out my homepage at  http://www.netvoyage.net/~brozen      |
 | For automated information on various subjects, send an e-mail to my |
 |        Internet address with SEND HELP on the SUBJECT line.         |