(January 1996)

Subject: Re: Approve Script - FEATURE SUGGESTED
From: "Alan Millar" <amillar @ bolis . sf-bay . org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 22:17:03 -800
To: Brock Rozen <brozen @ netvoyage . net>, majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amillar@hock.bolis.sf-bay.org>

> > > We run a group of lists. We wish to have each person subscribed to the
> > > other lists also subscribed to one main list. Basically, anybody who
> > > subscribes to list B-G also gets subscribed to list A.

> > So just subscribe listB-outgoing, listC-outgoing, etc to listA
> > and forget about the rest.
>
> A few problems I see with this. One, we DO allow people who do NOT want
> to receive the main list to unsubscribe from this. They would NOT have
> that option under this.

That's true.

>   Two, some people would receive duplicates.
> Considering we have THOUSANDS (over five thousand) of subscribers, that
> would add CONSIDERABLE work on the system and would result in unneeded
> inconveniences to be added to our readers.

No, it wouldn't.  The only reason I bothered to post was to tell you
how to do it without producing such duplicates.  (I assume that you
are using sendmail or smail; other transports may produce duplicates
no matter what).

Here's how it works:

- If you subscribe "listB" to listA, you WILL get duplicates.

- If you subscribe "listB-outgoing" to listA, you will NOT get
  duplicates.

That's how it works.  Honest.

- Alan
----
Alan Millar              amillar@bolis.SF-Bay.org
System Administrator     http://www.bolis.com
Reason notwithstanding, the universe continues unabated.

Indexed By Date Previous: Problems with Archive and Digest