(January 1996)

Subject: Re: Desireable changes to maillist programs
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 08:31:12 -0800
To: loren @ hops . wharton . upenn . edu
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

(Fixing an address typo...)

At 10:58 AM 1/15/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Chan writes:
>> Uh, Majordomo already does this.  Turn "administravia" on for the
>> desired list, and it will catch those messages before they go out to
>> the list.
>
>This is sort of true. If the word "help" is anywhere in the first four
>lines of the message, or any other "administrative" word, then the
>message gets bounced to the list owner.  It does not automatically
>process subscribe and unsubscribe requests sent to the list, as Wade
>suggested.  I agree with Wade that this would be a good thing.

So if someone sends a message that says "I'm so mad at Newsweek I'm
going to unsubscribe" you want them removed from the list, without your
even seeing the original erroneous request?

The current standards (-request address, for instance) and tools (filtering
instead of auto-perocessing) are the result of a set of policies that are
intended to make it possible to edicate users, then do the right thing when
they do the right thing.  Merging everything into a single address only
complicates processing; automating possibly-erroneous processing only
complicates the lives of users who ARE doing the right thing.

If you're not willing to (a) educate mistaken users and (b) take the
burden of greater work on yourself instead of on users who are doing the
right thing, you don't really need to be running a list.
---
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                          rogerk@QueerNet.ORG
2215-R Market Street #576         San Francisco, CA 94114       +1 415 ALL-ARFF
"There is only one real blasphemy -- the refusal of joy!"       -- Paul Rudnick

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Desireable changes to maillist programs