(January 1996)

Subject: Re: Desireable changes to maillist programs
From: "David S. Miller" <davem @ caip . rutgers . edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 15:44:44 -0500
To: loren @ wharton . upenn . edu
Cc: loren @ hops . wharton . upenn . edu, rogerk @ queernet . org, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

   From: "Loren Miller" <Loren.Miller@marketing.wharton.upenn.edu>
   Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 13:41:58 EST

   What I want is if someone sends a properly formatted majordomo
   command to the mailing list then majordomo should perform the command
   as if it was sent to list-request. "subscribe" is a command.
   "unsubscribe" is a command. "index" is a command. "info" is a
   command. Only check the first line. If it is a properly formatted
   command then treat the whole message as nothing but commands. If it
   isn't a properly formatted command then treat the message as text.
   IMO this would get around a lot of the problems I've had with
   administrivia getting too many false positives, as well as reducing
   administrative overhead.

Not all that great of an idea for everyone, about twice a day I'm
bound to see a transaction like the following on at least 5 or 6 of my
lists...