(January 1996)

Subject: Sequence numbers in subjects (and archives)
From: shane @ themacs . com (Shane P. McCarron)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 17:14:05 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

I have just recently started working with MajorDomo, and wanted to take a
second to tell you all how nice a piece of software this is.  Simple,
elegant, and yet useful - all of the best Unix traditions.

A few years ago I developed a package that would take messages and do
things similar to that of MajorDomo.  However, that package had the ability
to place a sequence number in the Subject: line of each message, and to
archive and retrieve from archive individual messages by that sequence
number.  I have added this 'numbering' facility to the resend script
through a '-n' command line switch and an additional subject-prefix
substitution (that is implemented in resend, not in majordomo). It works
really well, and is very useful for discussion lists where there are
frequently a lot of different threads.

I would like to contribute this enhancement back to the community, if you
want it.  How would I go about doing that?

--
Shane P. McCarron                               Work: +1 612 434-4431
Testing Research Manager                        Inet: shane@themacs.com

UNIX is a registered trade mark in the United States and other
countries, licensed exclusively through X/Open Company Limited.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: TODO: ./configure for majordomo