(January 1996)

Subject: Re: munging addresses for resend
From: pdc @ lunch . engr . sgi . com (Paul Close)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:57:30 -0800 (PST)
To: brennan @ watsun . cc . columbia . edu (Joe Brennan)
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

> We have a majordomo list where the owner wants to restrict posting to
> list members.  This was set by using the subscription list as the file,
> i.e. in the <list>.config we have:
>
> restrict_post     = fortility
>
> This still prevented one person posting, because she used an email
> cluster where each host put its own name in the from lines.

A more general solution, which I use, is to have a file called alternates,
in which you put any alternate addresses people use for posting.
Mungedomain cannot possibly handle a user who also posts from their aol
account, for example.  Then restrict_post looks like:

restrict_post     = fortility:alternates

If you have a digest version, you'll want that there too.  I keep alternates
in the lists directory, which is where majordomo looks (which makes it a
real list, for whatever that's worth).

For my own convenience, I use the following format in alternates:

alternate@address (listname subscribed@address)

This makes restrict_post practical, and it sure keeps the spam away....
--
Paul Close          pdc@sgi.com          http://reality.sgi.com/employees/pdc/

			No fate but what we make