Subject: Re: wish list items
From: Brock Rozen <brozen @ netvoyage . net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: Loren Miller <loren @ wharton . upenn . edu>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Loren Miller wrote:

> A variable setting for each mailing list that allows the list owner
> to choose whether s/he wants to see SUBSCRIPTION and UNSUBSCRIPTION
> notices or not. On a highly active list you get so many of these that
> it becomes an annoyance.

My suggestion is to get procmail which will filter your mail. I use this
to filter these message to /dev/null (the trash)

> An additional module that I can point my errors-to header towards
> that would process bounced messages based on a more-or-less inclusive
> set of criteria and assemble a list of subscribers who have generated
> one or more bounces and who should be unsubscribed or moved to the
> bounces list, then assemble messages for APPROVAL and send them to
> the moderators of the appropriate mailing lists. I own/moderate 7
> mailing lists with a total of 6000 or so subscribers and they
> generate an incredible number of bounces each week. They generate far
> more bounce messages than I can process regularly, and I often just
> go through the mbox file with grep and awk to find the people who had
> undeliverable mail and then generate a script which usually dies a
> premature death from forking the stack into oblivion, but manages to
> unsub a sizable proportion of them. Anyway, this is something that I
> think could be added into the majordomo program suite without a lot
> of problems. Anybody better than I am at perl who wants to code it?

I moderate 13 lists (or so) with over 6500 subscribers and I have a
similar problem. My suggestion is again, to use procmail to filter the
mail into seperate folders so that you can work on one task at a time
(bounced messages, approval messages, etc etc).

 | Brock Rozen | brozen@netvoyage.net | http://www.netvoyage.net/~brozen |
 | Check out my Auto-Reply System -- Send me mail with subject SEND HELP |