(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Restrict post by domain?
From: Kevin Kelleher <kevink @ concorde . com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:13:41 -0400 (EDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

At 12:06 AM 8/1/96 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>PO> Is there a way to restrict posts to a list by the domain or machine
>PO> name of the message sender, as opposed to their email address?
>[...]
>It might be nice to have something like, say, allowed_addresses which would
>be an array of regexps, like taboo_headers, at least one of which must
>match.  If none of these matches, restrict_post is consulted.  Hmmm.
>
>Any other ideas?

I've been experimenting with procmail to filter mail in general,
and keep thinking that if you could pass majordomo mail through
procmail first, you could do a lot of things that majordomo by
itself doesn't do, and maybe doesn't need to do.

For instance, if you configure a list as moderated, and set up
procmail at the moderator's address so that it automatically
adds the approval header, you could insert all kinds of filters,
controls, and tests, even to the point of kicking off perl
scripts that could do whatever you wanted.

If you set the scripts up right, the moderator would never even
be aware of the stuff that procmail is filtering.

For instance:

- filter out subscription requests from a person, domain, or group
- pass some subscribers' mail for approval and automatically approve
  others
- reroute administrivia to majordomo
- filter spam and censor hot and/or useless topics

and other stuff that people keep asking for.

Kevin Kelleher

Indexed By Date Previous:
Next: Re: Unsubscribing doubly subscribed users.
Next: Re: Unsubscribing doubly subscribed users.
From: Brock Rozen <brozen@netvoyage.net>