(September 1996)

Subject: Re: So where's this specification?
From: John Orthoefer <jco @ BBNPlanet . com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 19:49:14 -0400
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>

>   External (email):
>     Process a piece of email looking for requests.
>     Send info returned by the internal functions back to requestors.
>
>   External (cgi):
>     you get the picture.
>
>   External (command line).
>
>   External (telnet).
>
>   External (what else is there? touch tone?)

And once we add the diplomacy server we will be where Listserv is.  A
program which has totaly outgrown what it was designed to do.

Majordomo is desgined to add/delete names to/from a list via RFC 822
compliant mail.

Yes I implemented a CGI for Majordomo.  But it works the right way
(tm) it works via the one channel majordomo uses mail messages.

lets not try and lose perspective here guys.  This program was written
because listserv is TOO complex.  Brent wanted to get listserv running
spent a day trying to get it to work and couldn't and said well I
wanted to learn this perl stuff anyway.  (at least this is what he
told me at Usenix a few years ago.)

Now then I agree keeping a mailing list in a relational database (plug
for postgres 95) is appleaing I looked at it once, even got the
add/delete code working.  But then I stepped back and said...Humm what
do I really want.  And desided to stick with my hacked version of 1.9x

johno