(September 1996)

Subject: Web interface for list creation (Was Re: So where's this specification?)
From: Patrick Wiseman <lawppw @ gsulaw . gsu . edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:51:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: Tim Shuttleworth <Tim . Shuttleworth @ nessie . mcc . ac . uk>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Tim Shuttleworth wrote:

> One thing which I am planning to start work on in the next month or so is a
> web-based interface for list creation. Here we run around 250 lists, and
> frequently get asked to create new ones. This involves a sitting on the
> 'phone extracting all the relevant details from the list owner, which can be
> a time consuming task. Instead what I envisage is the following:

[specs snipped]

> Before I begin working on this, does anyone have a system like this already?
> Does anyone have any (helpful) criticisms to make of the idea? Would anyone
> else be interested in writing it for me? (Oh well, worth a try :^) Would
> anyone else be interested in the end result?

I've implemented something a lot simpler than your specs provide
(although I'd certainly be interested in something that would set up the
config file for a list).  I have a form which my users can fill out
whichcalls a script which does a couple of things:

o It emails to majordomo-owner (me) a message containing properly
configured aliases for the list (the user can choose to archive or not,
and to allow anonymous posting or not)

o It emails to the requester (who provides an email address as listowner
on the form) a request to confirm the request.

Once I have confirmation, I pipe the email to another script which
adds the aliases to /etc/aliases, runs newaliases, creates all the
necessary directories, files and links, adds the new listowner to my
"listowners" list, and emails to the new listowner the list owner's
documentation.

The first script is available at http://gsulaw.gsu.edu/scripts/ under the
aliases.pl link (or, directly, as http://gsulaw.gsu.edu/scripts/mjauto.zip).

Patrick