(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Make problem in 1.94b2?
From: "Earle F. Ake Mr" <akee @ wpdis03 . wpafb . af . mil>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:41:21 -0400 (EDT)
To: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

According to Jerry Peek:

> > JP> It looks to me as if the 1.94b2 Makefile must be run as root.  That's
> > JP> required on POSIX systems so "wrapper" can be setuid root...  and also
> > JP> on non-POSIX systems like BSD where only root can "chown".
> >
> > Yep, you have to make install as root.  This guarantees that you can make
> > the necessary directories, and of course to do the chmod so wrapper is
> > setuid.
> >
> > JP> But then, it seems to me, all the files in the home directory will be
> > JP> owned by root!
> >
> > Yeah.  I've always changed them just after I install:
> >
> > sudo chown -R lists.list ^wrapper
> > sudo chmod -R g+w ^wrapper
>
> Hmmm.  Seems to me like that should be in the makefile.  At the least,
> that step should be put in the INSTALL file.  Unfortunately, not
> everyone has tcsh with that ^ operator (for "all except 'wrapper'".)

	I ran into that same problem.  Could we change the makefile to set
the permissions and ownership correctly on all non-wrapper files and
directories?  I will grab the newest version and install it on a new system
and see what other stuff I find.

	Also check to see if the home directory exists and if not, make it
and set the ownership.  That or as suggested, abort the make and report that
the directory needs to be made and permissions set accordingly.  That or just
check to see if the user has permissions to create it and do it then and if not
issue and error.

-Earle
--
Earle Ake                   MSG/SID                  akee@wpdis03.wpafb.af.mil