(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Make problem in 1.94b2?
From: Brent Chapman <Brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:54:13 -0600
To: Chan Wilson <cwilson @ slurp . neu . sgi . com>, Jerry Peek <jpeek @ jpeek . com>, tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

At 12:31 AM +0200 9/23/96, Chan Wilson wrote:
>> It looks to me as if the 1.94b2 Makefile must be run as root.
>> That's required on POSIX systems so "wrapper" can be setuid root...
>> and also on non-POSIX systems like BSD where only root can "chown".
>
>Eh?  Hasn't it always been the case that you can "give away" files
>with chown?

Only on SysV, not on BSD.

-Brent

Brent Chapman         | Great Circle Associates    | 1057 West Dana Street
Brent@GreatCircle.COM | http://www.greatcircle.com | Mountain View, CA 94041
                   Internet Tutorials from the Experts!

From: Brent Chapman <Brent@GreatCircle.COM>
Next: Re: Weird-ass "resend" bug du jour
From: Brent Chapman <Brent@GreatCircle.COM>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Make problem in 1.94b2?