(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Looping, cascading Welcome and HELP messages (fwd)
From: Chan Wilson <cwilson @ slurp . neu . sgi . com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 21:03:03 +0200
To: Ben Parker <ben @ dha . unon . org>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

> I have various subscribers on addresses that generate auto-responses
> (receipts, fax acknowledgements etc). When I join them with a "subscribe
> list address", the auto-reply to the welcome/intro message goes back to
> majordomo, which then sends them help, which generates a receipt, which

Knee jerk reaction:  Tell them to fix their mailer.  It's bad form to
automatically respond to *everything* that comes in.

Second thought:  Add a "Precedence: bulk" to the outbound message, then
raise bloody hell if their mailer responds to *that*.

Third reaction:  Change the outbound message to have a Reply-to: that
doesn't go anywhere.  Or better yet, to themselves... perhaps their
mailer will get stuck in a self-feeding loop. <evil grin>

> Second question: a command like approve password unsubscribe * address
> doesn't work. Why is that?

Hmm.  Well, for starters, what password are you supposed to use?

The way MD is currently organized, the wildcard unsubscribe can't be
done correctly.  Sorry.  This will get fixed after 1.94.

Oh, and the above holds true for the 'approve <passwd> lists' as
well...

--Chan