(December 1996)

Subject: Re: Interest in this?
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 07 Dec 1996 01:10:28 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

DL> I am in the process of implementing some minor changes to resend to
DL> allow for a rewriting of the "Errors-To:" directive to point it to a
DL> perl script that can something on a somewhat automated basis.

you really intend to have something sit at the address that is used as the
envelope sender, generally owner-listname.

In any case, a tool like this is greatly needed and is somewhat difficult
to do.  I designed one on paper but haven't had the time to actually write
it.  Someone else actually has one running, but thinks it's too ugly to
give out right now.  (I haven't heard from him in some time, though.  In
fact, I've forgotten his name.  He was working on the NT port of Majordomo.)
Also, Smartlist has some logic used to trap the more common cases which
might be a good starting point.

In the end, though, for any such tool to be generally useful it has to have
two things:

An extensible engine for recognizing and classifying various bounces.
A mapping from bounce types to actions (ignore, unsubscribe, pass to list
  owner, etc.)

The ultimate tool would keep a database of bouncing address and perform
different actions on those who give problems frequently.

In any case, a tool like this, even one that only works on something like
the DSN draft or bounces from the big providers would still be useful (and
would probably be immediately hacked to provide more functionality).

 - J<