(December 1996)

Subject: Re: Suggestion for extended syntax
From: "Carlos M. Gutierrez" <carlos @ gutierrez . com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 05:35:07 -0400 (AST)
To: Alan Millar <amillar @ bolis . com>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

I believe the idea of having just one approve <password> at the beginning
of a message is highly intuitive and efficient. Nobody likes to repeat
the password for each line, even with cut & paste. I don't (but then I
just vi the config file...). But I feel the average list administrator will
prefer this.

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Alan Millar wrote:

> I have an idea for a syntax construct.

> we could instead do:
>
>   approve password
>   subscribe mylist user1@address1
>   subscribe mylist user2@address2
>   which jsmith
>
> The companion "configshow" command would return something like:
>
>   configset listname option1=value
>   configset listname option2=value
>   configset listname option3=value

how about just 'set' instead of 'configset'? :-)

set listname option1=value

> and it could be edited and sent back simply by adding a one-line
> "approve password" to the top of it.

yes, this is self intuitive. $vote_yes++;

cheers,

Carlos M. Gutierrez
carlos@ipr.net
Puerto Rico Internet Corp.