(December 1996)

Subject: Re: Even more musings
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 31 Dec 1996 10:26:58 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

DW> While we're throwing ideas around, I assume the semantics here that
DW> "rude_message" is a filespec with some default directory assumed.

It was really a sort of undeveloped idea.

DW> Would the '<<' syntax to inline the file be allowed (i.e. << SUBTAG
DW> within << TAG)?

There's no reason why not.

DW> What about variable substitution, e.g. $SENDER, $LISTNAME, etc.,
DW> in either case?

Some limited form, sure.  Not anything like calling eval to expand
variables.

DW> What about a means for list owners to install/update/ remove/list
DW> arbitrary message files, e.g. "rude_message", without direct access to
DW> the Mj machine?

We're going to have to have something like this.  It's pretty much
mandatory that we allow remote management of associated files of addresses
(a banned list, say) because I think it goes too far to require the
installation manager to create new lists to take care of it.

DW> Any thoughts of compartmentalizing lists in separate directories? E.g.:

I have hoped to make it configurable, sort of like archives are now.  The
code I have now, though, only assumes separation of config files and list
files but that's easy to change.

 - J<