(January 1997)

Subject: Re: More musings on a general access restriction mechanism
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 16:26:37 -0600 (CST)
To: tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu (Jason L Tibbitts III)
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

[ Jason L Tibbitts III writes: ]

> The original, simple idea didn't require any form of negation because the
> negation was implicit in the action.

I guess I'm dense, because I don't see it. How would I bounce subscribe
requests only for addresses *not* in the sps.mot.com or mcu.mot.com
domains or when the requesting and subscribing address don't match? I
can't simply check for all the alternatives since I can't know them in
advance.

> I recall that you (Dave) had an idea for compiling regexp lists to
> execute quickly; would this fit in?

The speedup involved assembling the regex subroutines once, when they
were submitted, instead of every time Mj reads the config files (i.e.
translate the config file into Perl code instead of parsing it every
time, which I assume you're already doing). The actual execution of
the regex pretty much is what it is. I looked at making better use of
short-circuit operators (|| and &&) instead of 'last', but didn't come up
with an easier/faster way to capture the expression that matched at the
same time. It could be done if what matched was reported instead of the
regex that matched, which I think would be just as useful.

--
 Dave Wolfe

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: More musings on a general access restriction mechanism