(January 1997)

Subject: A bit more progress
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 08 Jan 1997 01:54:08 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

Out, damned administrivia!

Well, I've made it a little further.  I can now read and write old-style
konfig files, though the code is gross and there's absolutely no checking
of the validity of any of the variables.  (I'll add some of that while I
can stay awake.)  So I can do the following:

XYX:sina:~/mj/2.0> ./mj_shell lists
Majordomo@hpc.uh.edu serves the following lists:

  type-o                  Discussion about the band Type O Negative
  fvwm                    Discussion about the FVWM window manager
[...]

I write the old-style files in a format that's a bit more readable and I
dropped the use of that nasty format and the need to post-process the file.
A sample entry looks like:

  # noadvertise
  # (undef)              [regexp_array] <majordomo,advertise,lists>
  # If the requestor name matches one of these regexps, then the list will
  # not be listed in the output of a lists command.  Noadvertise overrides
  # advertise.
noadvertise          << ENDAF
ENDAF

A big hash defines everything about a config variable.  An entry looks like
this:

   'subscribe_policy' =>
   {
    'type'   => 'enum',
    'values' => [qw(open closed auto open+confirm closed+confirm auto+confirm)],
    'groups' => [qw(majordomo access subscribe)],
    'comment'=> <<EOC,
One of three values: open, closed, auto; plus an optional modifier:
'+confirm'.  Open allows people to subscribe themselves to the list,
[...]
EOC

The local user can tack things onto this hash to add new variables easily.
All defaults are specified in a separate file, which contains a simple hash
with entries like this:

'subscribe_policy' => Mj::Config::get_global("default_subscribe_policy") ||
                      "open+confirm",
'admin_passwd'     => "$list.admin",

These defaults are evaluated anew for each list.

 - J<

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Possible bug in access_check