(January 1997)

Subject: Re: restrict_post and semi-moderation
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 10 Jan 1997 17:31:23 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

BS> Most of our legitimate traffic comes from a few long-time subscribers,
BS> and it would be nice if I could set up a list of pre-approved posters
BS> who would bypass the approval process.

You don't have to set restrict_post to the list of subscribers.  You can
set it do a separate file, containing the list of allowed posters.

BS> I don't want to give them the list password, and I don't want to have
BS> them switch to another list address (this is a trick way of bypassing
BS> the approval process which I use for my own accounts).

Do note that the approval password is separate from the list password.

BS> One solution might be to use restrict_post and put the approved
BS> addresses in a secondary file, but I haven't thought of the
BS> implications of this -- is this the only reasonable fix, or or is there
BS> a better way, or should Majordomo perhaps be modified so that the
BS> moderate option has a value between the boolean extremes to deal with
BS> this?

It's the only available option, and it works just fine except for some
interaction with *_access = list which you will have to experiment with.
restrict_post was implemented with your need in mind.

The access mechanism we have been discussing for a future version will also
provide a way to do this in a more flexible manner.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center