(January 1997)

Subject: Re: Special characters in the digest
From: relph @ mando . engr . sgi . com (John Relph)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:05:52 -0800
To: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: Nick Perry <nick @ aboard . co . uk>, michael @ Esosoft . com (Michael Tratz)

>> But these characters get replaced in the digest version of its list with
>> other characters.
>
>This is because digest strips all the headers identifying the coding
>scheme used in each email.  It has to do this because a digest may well
>consist of emails that use conflicting schemes, Quote Printable, 8 bit
>etc, which it couldn't reasonably combine unless it decoded each
>constituent message into some common format then re-encoded them all
>into the same (configurable) format.. this is undoubtably desirable,
>but some way off.  Jason Tibbetts says he has a version of resent that
>attempts to decode certain MIME types... this sort of matter is discussed
>on majordomo-workers.

I have written a digestifier that can decode MIME types.  It converts
everything to text/plain, substituting the closest ASCII if possible.
Binary MIME messages and attachments are ignored.  It doesn't work
within the automatic Majordomo framework, but is easily used with
Majordomo.  I use the package to build digests for four different
lists (including Chalkhills and Poi-Pounders), and it is also used by
a few other list managers for their digests (including Elephant-Talk
and TMBG-list).

If you are interested in checking out this digestifier, please let me
know.  Online doc can be had at
<http://reality.sgi.com/relph/src/digest.html>

I've had vague thoughts about trying to integrate this digestifier
with Majordomo, but since it already works for me, I've let it slide.

	-- John