(January 1997)

Subject: Re: QP-->8bit (Re: Special characters in the digest)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 16 Jan 1997 15:49:51 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

MH> This works quite well - but maybe there could be another, more elegant
MH> solution as well... :)

The plain fact of the matter is that digest needs to be rewritten.  Because
of all of the MIME issues, even RFC1153 digests (which I don't think our
digestifier even does right) just don't cut it.

Now I know that MIME digests are uglier than 1153 digests, but MIME is
prevalent enough that I think we have no other choice than to just pump out
"multipart/digest".  The Perl5 MIME tools make this really easy.

Someone could do this completely independently of all of the work I'm
doing; if the code were written cleanly it would be easy to fit into the
completely OO scheme I'm using for all Majordomo functionality.

 - J<