(January 1997)

Subject: patch for cc:Mail
From: Bill <bill @ wagill . com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:02:34 -0800
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: Chan Wilson <cwilson @ slurp . neu . sgi . com>

I use Paul Close's '' tool to generate a TOPICS file containing
a summary of all subjects found in my mailing lists' archives.

This tool removes the "Re:" reply prefixes from the subject line while
trying to build a list of unique subjects.  However, Paul's version does not
account for cc:Mail-style reply prefixes, such as "Re[3]:".

I have applied a small patch to correct this situation:

<           1 while ($subj =~ s/^Re2?:\s*//i);  # trim all Re:'s
>           1 while ($subj =~ s/^Re(\[\d+\]|2?):\s*//i);  # trim all Re:'s

- Bill.

William A. Gill                           Interactive Voice Response
WAGILL COMPUTING                          Electronic Data Interchange
814 Lakeway Drive, Suite 280              PowerBuilder/SQL Windows RAD
Bellingham, Washington 98226-6219, USA    Internet, Unix, C, TCP/IP
(360) 738-1278                            IBM 360/370 Assembler                     Systems Development Life Cycle

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: QP-->8bit (Re: Special characters in the digest)