(January 1997)

Subject: Re: Lists command WAS Re: "noadvertise" not working as advertised? :)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 20 Jan 1997 16:45:23 -0600
To: Brock Rozen <brozen @ webdreams . com>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

BR> What about a file that contains the list of lists and descriptions and
BR> where each list's config file is?

Why?  The point is to eliminate the need to parse the config file to get
the description.  I don't see how the location of config files has
anything to do with that.

BR> This would allow for part of what you wanted (unless I missed anything)
BR> and allow for the majordomo-owner to decide what he wants the config
BR> file called.

The config file is called listname.config in $listdir (as now, for
backwards compatibility) or _config (and _oldconfig) in the list
subdirectory for the separate_list_dirs structure.  This is a black box;
you should not plan on being able to do anything with it (even edit it by
hand) except by calling core functions.  It may all be fields in a database
somewhere.  However, given core function calls it should be easy to write
tools to do whatever you want to the files, like spit them out in
human-editable form.  (Actually they're still quite easy to edit, but it's
not something I'd recommend doing.)

 - J<