(January 1997)

Subject: Re: Lists command WAS Re: "noadvertise" not working as advertised? :)
From: Brock Rozen <brozen @ webdreams . com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 00:56:40 -0500 (EST)
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

On 20 Jan 1997, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> The old config file is still there; I can read and write it (and can do it
> a good bit faster than the 1.x code does since I don't use formats or that
> clunky old data structure).  It is only there as a nod to backwards
> compatibility, though.

Why even bother?

Just create a small program that converts 1.x config files to 2.x config
files.

Then leave majordomo to do only 2.x stuff -- there should be no backwards
compatibility if it takes away functionability. There were no promises
made for 2.x in that area -- why start giving them?

> No way.  I added all of this to lower the overhead; there's no point in
> raising it back up again.  The way things are shaping up, you can chmod 600
> everything (except the directories; 700 for them) and let no human in
> except for installation or to change the config defaults file.  (You can
> put the code in a different place from all of your lists.)  If you edit
> stuff, it's your problem.  Majordomo itself never sees this file and has no
> control over it's in it; it asks Perl to dump part of its internal data
> representation to a file.

Well, the permissions sounds very good -- but is the wrapper still needed?

 | Brock Rozen | brozen@webdreams.com | http://www.webdreams.com/~brozen |