(January 1997)

Subject: Re: MajorDumbo help file (insert smiley here)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 20 Jan 1997 22:25:43 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

>>>>> "RBAK" == Roger B A Klorese <rogerk@QueerNet.ORG> writes:

RBAK> As the email-for-nothing hordes continue to attack, it's become
RBAK> obvious to me that most users cannot understand even the simplest
RBAK> command summary.

Yes.  It's depressing, isn't it.  I try very hard not to take the attitude
that if you can't figure out how to subscribe, you don't deserve to
subscribe.  It isn't always easy, though.

RBAK> Also, most users are not interested in what the commands are; they're
RBAK> interested in doing what they want to do, and only want to see the
RBAK> commands to do it.

Yep.  And writing documentation like this is really hard.  We either need a
professional or a bunch of user input.  Perhaps the service provider folks
can help?  They're probably already having to educate their users about
Majordomo and I'd bet that they'd jump at the chance to make their jobs
easier by getting good help built right in.  (Perhaps even with specific
instructions for their software.)

Prevalent web interfaces will also make things a bit easier, although they
still need to know how to type in their email address.  Thankfully it's
virtually assured that my code will have a web interface built in.

I am not really sure that Majordomo-workers is a good place to discuss
this, though.  Even the non-developers here are probably way too close to
the software to write good zero-knowledge docs.  Do remember to change the
subject if this hops to majordomo-users!  ^_^

 - J<