(January 1997)

Subject: Re: MajorDumbo help file (insert smiley here)
From: Bill . Houle @ SanDiegoCA . NCR . COM (Bill Houle)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:10:25 -0800
To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Jan 21,  6:36pm, "Roger B.A. Klorese" wrote:
}
} As for web interfaces: I don't expect to supply one any time soon, and I
} know there are many users who will never use one for this.  Once we're
} handling management by web, why not just put the messages there?  An email
} system needs a user-friendly email interface most of all.

Majordomo list management is not exactly the same as using email to
send to the mailing lists. The latter is free-form conversation, while
the former requires an esoteric, almost mechanical, language. As most
admins will attest, there are a handful of people that simply have
trouble with this kind of interface (yet have no trouble using the
lists once set up).

The arguments against Web/Majordomo interfaces are the same encountered
in the OS GUI vs command line debate. I simply believe we are seeing
the result of having Majordomo cross the bridge from "techy" to common
usage. Good or bad, GUIs help to ease the transition.  Its your choice
to implement, but its nice to have a choice...

--bill

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: MajorDumbo help file (insert smiley here)