(January 1997)

Subject: Re: Lists command WAS Re: "noadvertise" not working as advertised? :)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 22 Jan 1997 19:32:02 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

OX> Database-based config files make your system extremely fragile:
OX> consider the registry in NT or 95.

JLT> No, they don't.

Brain fart here.  Yes, I agree with Oliver that databases can make things a
bit fragile.  I do not believe that the config files as I have them make
things fragile.  It's still a flat file human-hackable system, just one
that happens to have many advantages over the format we were using.
Unfortunately you have to understand some Perl to read them, but the same
could be said for the rest of Majordomo.

In the future if things end up to be databases they will be there for speed
of single-element retrieval and existence testing.  Having flat-file
mirrors of config files around is easy because you only have to rewrite
them if they change.  Having a mirror of the subscriber file could be
considered bad, though, because a single removal requires an entire file
copy.

 - J<