(January 1997)

Subject: Re: Any easy way to slap on moderation?
From: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:28:56 -0400 (AST)
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com (Majordomo developers)

Jason writes:

>BS> I was in Europe and missed the discussion, but if the consensus was
>BS> that it would be nice to toggle moderation (which I see as a much
>BS> higher priority than the other configuration options),
>I don't know if everyone would agree with you.  I modify taboo_headers much
>more often, for instance.

I'm not referring to how OFTEN they get modified, but how URGENTLY.
When I switch a list to moderated status, it is usually in response to a
real emergency.

>Remember that we're trying to case off use of those dropping files
>completely?  They work in mysterious ways, their overloading behavior is
>uncertain and they require direct access to the server.  Why not just edit
>the aliases and add -A?

Huh? This is much riskier and requires root access (I assume you refer
to aliases for sendmail), and it is pretty hard to do remotely. Keep in
mind that what I suggested was some way to send a message to Mj saying
"I want to moderate this list" without requiring root access or login
access to the server.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Section, Bedford Institute of Oceanography,
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2, Tel. (902)426-1577