(February 1997)

Subject: Re: subject_prefix without subjects...
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell @ ufp . org>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 18:06:50 -0500 (EST)
To: tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu (Jason L Tibbitts III)
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM, emarshal @ common . net

> ESM> The reason I ask is that it would be useful to be able to have it
> ESM> manufacture a subject such as "[$LIST]: <no subject>" or some such, so
> ESM> that users who process their mail upon receipt by subject can do so
> ESM> reliably.
>
> Users shouldn't be processing their mail based upon its subject.  That just
> isn't a very robust way of doing it.

	I find myself using the subject code since I run several
related mailing lists and it is nice to be able to decide which
list to read in your mailier.  With elm I can use CTRL-D (delete
pattern) to delete all messages from a list if I don't want to
read them.

	I also find the subject code repulsive.  IMHO you should
define a subject prefix, which always appears at the beginning
of a line.  The reason is this problem: (sequence of subject headers)