(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Why must I create twice the number of directories?
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 14 Feb 1997 12:07:16 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

BR> Jason, what plans do you have for digests in 2.0, if you've even
BR> thought that far ahead.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I fell seriously ill and was
confined to bed for several days.  I'm reading my email whenever I can get
to it.

As for digests, the comments I've seen in the past is that pretty much
everyone wants tighter integration between the digest list and the normal
list.  They should at least share a common configuration file and look to
the user like a single list.  Integration should be tight enough so that
resend feeds the message to digest itself without adding headers and
footers.

How things get stored behind the scenes is another matter; I'm still trying
to figure out how best to save state.  DB-style databases are nice and
simplify certain kinds of lookup, but it isn't necessarily easy to extract,
say, all subscribers who want the weekly digest.  Plus we want to store a
quantity of information for each address, which means either a bunch of
databases or using something like MLDBM, about which I have efficiency
concerns.

 - J<