(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Digests and MIME
From: "Mr. Erich L. Markert" <1e6244 @ sunams . usma . edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:25:24 +0500
To: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <1e6244@sunams.usma.army.mil>

It's a nice feature.  I actually had implemented this
multipart/digest on my majordomo server but got complaints from guess
who?  That's right.  Microsoft Mail users.  I don't remember if
Exchange users were complaining about this feature.

I know some MS Mail users had trouble with this because MS Mail
doesn't support certain MIME types (multipart digest being one of
them).  Some MS Mail users complained they were unable to read the
multipart/digest messages - of course mail clients are suppose to
just display the entire message if they can't handle certain MIME
types but MS never really paid much attention to RFCs.

Now to be fair to MS, I'm not entirely sure that this was a problem
with ALL MS Mail users or if it was just user head space and
timing (I only received some complaints).

The actual implementation was fairly easy, it's really just a couple
extra lines of text added to the digest message.

This is way too nice a feature not to be officially implemented.

Mr. Erich L. Markert                  markert@www.usma.edu
USMA Webmaster                           TEL (914)938-6463
Directorate of Information Management    FAX (914)938-7308
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY 10996

                -- Henry Spencer