Subject: Re: suggestion for new Majordomo
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 03 Mar 1997 18:49:57 -0600
To: n <dreed @ narnia . mhv . net>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

>>>>> "n" == n  <dreed@narnia.mhv.net> writes:

n> what I mean is I don't *want* to approve bulky messages; the users of my
n> lists have no business sending .jpg pictures of their girlfriends, 5000
n> line IRC logs of them netsexing various IRC operators, etc...

So you can guarantee that there will never be a legitimate message on your
list that exceeds the size limit?  I think that's an extremely rare case.

n> however in my case, I never want to approve those messages; if I did,
n> I'd up the maxlength setting in the .config, no?

You're being short-sighted.  I have small limits for messages on my lists.
A few times a week I get a message that is bounced to me that is over the
limit but which should be sent.  I send it.  The purpose for the size limit
is not to set an absolute maximum, but to set a threshold over which the
list owner should be consulted.  Nothing in Majordomo (except perhaps
majordomo_dont_reply, for obvious reasons) drops anything in the trash
without consulting the list owner.  That is part of the way Majordomo is
designed to work, and there are very good reasons for that behavior.

[Using proper writing techniques]

n> for email...?

Yes, for email.  You are corresponding with a group of people who are here
because they enjoy working on software.  I don't think anyone reading
majordomo-workers enjoys wading through a badly written message.  You should
spend time composing messages so that others do not have to spend
inordinate amounts of time reading them.  I generally just ignore badly
written messages, and I suspect that most others here do also.  Pretend
you're writing a newspaper article that others will read.

If, of course, you don't want to bother to spend time writing your message
then at least you'll understand why few people would bother spending time
reading your message.

n> <sigh> isn't there any way for me to change my resend Perl script to
n> behave my way, which "is under no circumstances" good behaviour, except
n> under my circumstances?

Yes, there is.  Find the point in resend where the message is bounced due
to size limits and call a different bounce routine.  It shouldn't be all
that difficult to code up.  Of course, you will want to add a configuration
variable, lest you force every list at your site to behave that way.

 - J<