Subject: Re: bulk mail via SCO Unix 3.2.4v2
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 04 Mar 1997 00:04:30 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, "Edward S. Marshall" <emarshal @ phoenix . common . net>

ESM> Machine "mj" hosts all of our mailing lists. Machine "shell" hosts all
ESM> of our shell users. We have a list on "mj" that consists of users
ESM> whose mailboxes reside on "shell". When the list is mailed, qmail
ESM> forks off its maximum number of processes to deliver individual copies
ESM> of this mail to "shell" for each user on the list, with the results
ESM> being very much like a DoS attack. Rather nasty.

This is what qmail does.  This is the only behavior that qmail implements.
(I.e. make a separate connection for every address on a machine, even when
you could do it all in one connection.)  According to the author of qmail,
there is no reason to do it any differently.  Also recall that qmail sends
a tangibly different message to each recipient (because of the sender
hack), so it has no choice but to make separate connections.  I suggest you
ask for a solution on the qmail mailing list; I do recall that the author
had come up with an SMTP replacement that perhaps two qmail-speaking hosts
could use instead.

ESM> Is there some way I can get qmail to handle this situation gracefully
ESM> (i.e. deliver ONE copy of the mail to "shell", and let it's mailer
ESM> (also qmail) deal with it appropriately)?

You could wedge something like TLB in there; TLB can move some addresses
off to another machine for delivery, which is essentially what you want
done.  That isn't exactly what I call an easy solution, though.  (TLB is a
package I have written to do this kind of thing.  If you want to try it,
let me know.)
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center