(September 1997)

Subject: Re: 0.0199709090 SET-ID help
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 13 Sep 1997 18:52:22 -0500
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

RA> That's going to be a long list.  It includes Linux and most SysV Unixes
RA> I'm aware of.  The fact that suid scripts work on Solaris is the
RA> exception, not the rule.

That's not correct; it works fine on Linux.  The kernel ignores the setuid
bit as it should and sperl properly emulates it.  It works on Digital Unix,
too.  That comprises all of the platforms I have available to me to test
on, which is why I continually say that someone else is going to have to
come up with a wrapper because I can't test it.  I like the three-line
wrapper myself; the complex ones only make things difficult.

Alternately, the whole client-server model will eliminate the need for
setuid scripts completely.  I was planning on saving it until after
release, but if someone feels compelled then I'm all for making it happen
now.

 - J<