(September 1997)

Subject: Re: $global_taboo_headers
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:08:15 -0500 (CDT)
To: DMbong @ krumm . commline . com (Brian L. Heess - home)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

[ Brian L. Heess - home writes: ]

> Not being the pro at regexp's, I thought somebody might be able to help me
> with one:
>
> I would like this blocked:
>
> 	/^from:.*gahan@*/i
>
> But this allowed:
>
> 	/^from:.*vi_gahan@*/i

As Jason indicated, Mj2 already has what you want (I'll let him explain
it if you need more detail), but I think the ordering of your regexes
may make a big difference since one is a substring of the other.

As for your regexes, note that these are are a subset of real Perl
regexes, so the '@' has to be escaped, i.e. '\@'. Also, what you wrote
is "zero or more '@' (at the end of the match)". I don't think that's
what you meant. Even if you meant to write '.*' (zero or more of any
character), that's just wasted cycles at the end of a regex in this
context. If you don't care what follows, then why check?

--
 Dave Wolfe