(September 1997)

Subject: Re: mj_shell -f (and other thoughts)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 25 Sep 1997 14:09:32 -0500
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

I forgot to respond to this one.

BLH> Any chance you could add an option for use with the -f to turn off the
BLH> fact that the zubscribe messages are sent to the list owner?  :)

Not really sure why the -f option comes into play here; why wouldn't you
want to do it for any command that might possibly inform the owner.

BLH> I checked the script and didn't see an option that would do it.

Well, for now just set the inform config variable appropriately.  It
defaults to doing what 1.9x does.

Once I write the unified dispatch function, I'll add a 'noinform' mode
which turns off owner information for a command.  I could add one to turn
off logging, too.  I'm worried about how much access to require for these,
though.  I suppose noinform could require a password valid for changing the
inform config variable (and nothing stricter, else you could just change
the variable).  The nolog mode would require some global password, probably
the master global password, since doing something in complete silence is a
serious matter.

BLH> Maybe a report that is the same as the output from the command line
BLH> would be cool!

Take a look at the documentation for the inform variable.  The idea is that
if you request to be informed immediately, you will be.  If you want to be
informed later, you can request that some things show up in a report when
you request it.  And if you don't want to know, you can ignore things.  If
you've looked at logsummary.pl (which comes with 1.9x) you'll get the idea.

 - J<