Subject: Re: German language files
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 30 Mar 1998 10:09:38 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, "Hanno Mueller" <hanno @ lava . de>

HM> I got a bunch of error messages about the "sessions/" directory which
HM> apparently needs to be created by the installation script, but isn't.

That's odd, because postinstall makes the directory.  Unless you caught me
between commits or something.  When is the last time you updated?

HM> Without the sessions directory, "t/shell" failed.

Ah, that's just the test.  I'll see about fixing the test.  Could you
please give exact error messages?  The test passes here so I'm not quite
sore where to start.

HM> But even with the sessions directory, the "mj-shell" command of the
HM> installation failed. Too bad.

Again, you have to give error messages (and examples of what is in your
list directory) before I can try to fix this.  It installs cleanly for me,
so I need more information to duplicate it.  (All if this is just good
practise for reporting bugs.)

HM> You will find my suggested format for a "language.config" file there,
HM> which I will also include to this mail. Please read the file and send
HM> me your comments about it.

I will take a look, but any usable solution will be in a single module.

HM> The idea is that installing a language set simply means adding a
HM> directory to "files/".

The files directory is for files, not code.  List owners can "put" things
in files; letting them put code there is an extreme security hole.

I think the formal/informal bit goes a bit too far.  Things are bloated as
it is.  I'll reserve judgment until I hear more feedback, though.

 - J<