(June 1998)

Subject: Re: mj2 w/ unresolvable addresses
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 12 Jun 1998 15:22:46 -0500
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

BS> Ok, here's that same problem I reported before - one of the domains on
BS> this list is no longer resolvable, even though it is listed at the
BS> InterNIC (ie it's not returning a NXDOMAIN, it's just timing out).

Drat, and I still can't repeat it.  Could you give me the domain of the
failing host?  I can't seem to find one that triggers this behavior.

I have some ideas; the first thing is to up the default select timeout.
Right now if nothing comes back for 60 seconds (the default timeout) then
majordomo assumes it's not going to hear back.  What amount of time is a
reasonable wait?  Perhaps I could, say, quintuple it when sending an RCPT?

Perhaps also after failing on an RCPT for some number of times we could
just drop it from the list.  The problem here is that then we'd have to
find some way to communicate this to the owner.  Without any bounces the
address would stick around and complicate things for an eternity.  (I have
some schemes for managing multiple outbound delivery connections in
parallel, but these may make for more work than is useful.)

BTW, are you running a caching nameserver?  I find it odd that this doesn't
get negatively cached anywhere.

BS> This time I let it go, and below is the debug output.  Note that it
BS> took a *really* long time to timout - ~43 minutes if I'm calculating
BS> correctly.

It was trying really hard to get through.  The assumption is that failures
when talking to hosts are temporary things, so (after doing the deal with
the backup hosts) it will try again and keep trying until it finally just
gives up.

 - J<