(September 1998)

Subject: Re: Digests, phase zero
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:05:03 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: Bill Houle <bhoule @ sparc . sandiegoca . ncr . com>, "Randall S. Winchester" <rsw @ Glue . umd . edu>, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 25 Sep 1998, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> That doesn't explain all of the outside patching and bug fixing essentially
> ignored by the maintainer.  It also doesn't explain the constant repeated
> feature requests.

Most of the patches I've seen have been "I want a different behavior"
patches.  I count maybe a half-dozen non-incorporated actual fixes in over
a year.

> RBAK> Software does not exist for the sake of its developer community, but
> RBAK> rather, for its users.
>
> Precisely.  And the users haven't been getting what they've wanted.
> Traffic on majordomo-users constantly bears this out.

"The users"?  Or 10% of the users?  Or 5%?  Or 1%?

I'll give Mj2 a shot, probably, but I certainly haven't seen much of any
grat improvement in it, other than the need to be a Pine jock to use it, a
pile of data structures most of us learn to give up on and hide completely
after a few years of non-academic programming experience, and an
abandonment of the simplicity that made me choose Mj1 in the first place.
Oh, and geeky features I don't understand after 25 years in the industry.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE     rogerk@QueerNet.ORG     urgent: rogerk-page@QueerNet.ORG
2215-R Market Street #576         San Francisco, CA 94114       +1 415 ALL-ARFF