(September 1998)

Subject: Regexp wizard
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 25 Sep 1998 20:23:44 -0500
To: Bill Houle <bhoule @ sparc . sandiegoca . ncr . com>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

[CCs trimmed; this has drifted.]

BH> BTW, I agree about the regexp wizard; it was something I was thinking
BH> about even for MjC1. If nothing is done in this area at the low levels
BH> of Mj2, I can still do it in MjC2.

I understand the basics of what you're looking for here, but could you be
more explicit?

I put out one proposal dealing with this already but I didn't see a
response; basically, if you can translate from your simplified expression
to a Perl regexp up front (say, when a cf variable is set) then I can do
this very easily.  Otherwise there is still a way to handle it; because of
security reasons, all regular expressions are handled by a single routine
which sets up a Safe compartment to run the regexp in.  This routine gets
called in loops, though, so you don't want to do too much here.  Still,
what you want is probably doable, although I'd like to know more.

 - J<

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Digests, phase zero