(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Digests
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 08 Jan 1999 10:03:16 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

JVE> What I would find most useful is an option that at 00:00 on the first
JVE> of each month, flushes out any partial issue as the last issue of the
JVE> current volume, and then increments the volume number.  That keeps the
JVE> volume aligned with the monthly archives.  E.g.

JVE>   volume_increment=monthly

OK, so we could use a yearly and a monthly increment (and skip date for
now, to make things easier to increment).

JVE> The flushing and incrementing would need to be set up in cron. A
JVE> midnight-on-the-first cron task could call a majordomo handler that
JVE> looks for the lists with volume_increment=monthly and does its thang.

Note that to make it easier on the folks who can stick things in crontab,
Mj2 has a trigger that runs (via a couple of master cron entries) once per
hour and once per day.

But you could also call the hypothetical command to increment the volume
number yourself.  I will probably implement this first.  Hmm:

digest-incvol  - bumps volume number and resets issue
digest-force   - forces digest generation (like mkdigest of old)
digest-trigger - tickles digest algorithm (in case standard hourly tickle
                 isn't enough)

Now, what did 'mkdigest' do?  Did it force digest generation regardless of
size limits, or did it just tickle the selection algorithm?

(You can probably see that I've never run digests.)

 - J<