(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Digests
From: Jeff Wasilko <jeffw @ smoe . org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:42:59 -0500
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 01:04:27AM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> How do people handle incrementing volume numbers?  I know issues increment
> automatically, but I suppose you have to increment the volume by yourself.
> I could do it automatically with some yearly event, but I doubt that
> everyone does it that way.  Ideas?

I have a little perl script that does in-place edits of the
config file that I run on New Years Day (after shutting off
sendmail to make sure that I don't have to deal with locking
issues).

An automated way of incrementing the volume (and resetting the
issue number back to 1) would be quite nice. I can't tell you
how many poorly run digests I've come across that are still at
V1 after many years (and have the issue number in the 4-digit
range).

-jeff